Friday, December 08, 2006

Parent Teacher Interview.. sorry kinda long

Today was Jarrets Parent Teacher Interview. I was looking forward to it like I do every year. This year especially because he had to adjust to so much. George took the day off so he could be there. We met the teacher for the first time. She was hired about a month ago because the grade 2 French Immersion classes were way too big. Jarret was in a class of 30 kids and 1 teacher. Since he was switched I have noticed a big difference in his attitude towards school, a good difference. Anyway...

She went over his report card with us.. (which really wasn't all that great). He does very well in Gym and Music though. So as the meeting went on she pulled out some of his work. There was about 4 different things she showed us.. And I am not kidding when I say that EVERYTHING was incomplete!!! NOT HAPPY!! George stood there with a not so happy look on his face.. I felt myself feeling very crappy as the teacher spoke about how Jarret doesn't focus.. How Jarret's printing isn't great.. How he comprehends French but cant write it or read it..

She did suggest that we get his hearing and eyes checked out because that may be a possibility why he isn't completing any of his work. I did ask if he socializes too much in class and if that could be why he isn't completing any of his work.. She said he isn't disruptive or he isn't distracted by visiting too much. There are a few things we can do at home to help him with his printing and reading obviously. If there is nothing wrong with his hearing or eyes then its all up to him to focus in class.

So George and I found ourselves giving him the "pull up your socks by next report card or else" speach.. lol.. Man If I didn't feel like a "real" parent before I sure did today. After we had our talk with him I told George I need to call my mom and apologize for all the parent teacher interviews she walked out of feeling the way I did today. And believe me there were plenty.. More about my "talking too much" but still.

I was really upset today. I know he is a smart kid and he means well.. I just hope we got through to him today about how important it is to do your best and focus on school work.

Amy's Parent Teacher is on Monday.. I already know I am going to hear about her "timeouts" but I am looking forward to hearing what the teacher has to say about her.

Lata Skata

4 comments:

Jolene said...

THEY START FRENCH IN 2nd GRADE??????!!!!! No wonder why he isnt paying attention...GEEZ! I didnt learn french until like 8th grade or something like that!Man...The things they teah children nowadays. EXACTLY...why MY CHILDREN are being homeschooled....UGH!

Jenn said...

He actually started French in Kindergarten. We chose to put him in French Immersion. Get this though.. Amy who is in Junior Kindergarten.. (which it is optional to put your child in JK) gets homework every Friday!! That made me crazy!! But you should see what she knows!! I still think its young for homework..

Anonymous said...

JeOh thank goodness, I thought we were the only ones with this situation! Taylor has the exact same problem as well, and it started in grade two! They told us to get her eyes and ears checked and everything was fine. Alot of kids have trouble adjusting to the real work of school, it takes time for them to buckle down and realize that this is their life for the next 12+ years! Taylor still has problems concentrating (she loves Taylor world and spends to much time there!)and organizing her work. Like Jarret she is very smart, she just doesn't apply herself (I think we all heard that one from a teacher at some point, I know I did!) Her teacher made her make a contract with him that she will show him her work at the end of each assignment and that everyday he will report to us on her progress. Her desire to not dissapoint us (sometimes I think she doesn't want to dissapoint her teacher more than us!)is staring to help her get on task. If it continues past third grade though, we will have to find an alternative method. It's stressful, maybe try the contract thing and see if it works for him. Anything is worth a try!

Jenn said...

I think it must be the age they are at too. Too busy wondering what they are going to play at recess. My mom was told by a teacher that Jenn worries more about organizing the soccer game at recess then work. lol. I guess he comes by this honestly. The contract idea may be an option. We are definetly going to give him a chance to make it up. I am hoping by next report card there is a difference.