Monday, January 28, 2008

Jarret


We went skating again yesterday. It was a beautiful day. When we got there, a hockey game was just about to start. The kids were just a bit older then Jarret.. maybe 9-11years old. They asked Jarret and George if they wanted to play. Jarret jumped to the opportunity. He was not the best skater out there.. this is only his first year of skating but man does that kid LOVE skating/hockey. You hear of kids/people being passionate for a sport or hobby but I honestly have not seen it in real life.. until watching my kid out there yesterday.

At first he was lagging a bit behind. They would all be on one side of the rink and when he got there.. they would be heading back.. he turned around and skated as hard as he could to catch up. He did really well. He never gave up.. he skated like I have never seen anyone skate.

At one point he went in net. Now this is where he shinned!!! He was stopping the pucks like nothing. Falling to the ice.. using his stick (poke check)and trying his best. One of the kids skated up to George and told him that Jarret was the best goalie they have ever had. He told George that they all go there every Saturday and Sunday to play and he wants Jarret to come back and be there goalie.

You know where we will be every weekend until the ice melts.

A second game started and two dads and their kids came and they all played again. They were so good with Jarret. The puck was passed to him and they all pretty much let him take it to the net and score. Well.. you should have seen him. He wanted to jump up and down and scream but he tried to look as cool as a cucumber. He looked over to where we were sitting and gave us this look.I cant really explain the look..it was a look of pride.. and happiness. Priceless.

Love my kid!

The only reason we left was because the NHL Allstar game was on at 6. We were out there for about 3 hours.

I cant wait to see him play next weekend.



*** Edited***

My appologies it looks like there is a spelling error in this post.

SHINNED = SHINED

I hope this makes this post make more sense.. thank you to those who pointed it out lol


Lata Skata

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO JARRET!!!!! I wish I could see you play. Maybe next time mom could take the camera and do a couple of clips.

Oh ya, way to go George. How are the lungs???? I'm sure you were a champ too!

Just Gramma

Shannon said...

I have to get a Canadian handbook of hockey terms. I've never heard of "shinned" before.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking it was meant as Shined, no Shinned

Shined:
To emit light.
To reflect light; glint or glisten.
To distinguish oneself in an activity or a field; excel.
To be immediately apparent: Delight shone in her eyes.

shinned:
To climb (a rope or pole, for example) by gripping and pulling alternately with the hands and legs.
To kick or hit in the shins.

Char said...

Jarret, that is soooo awesome!! Hockey rocks! You're getting so great at it! I wish we could see you play too!

xo,
Auntie

Char said...

My favourite is "To kick or hit in the shins"....that's funny.

Shannon said...

LMAO. So it wasn't some mysterious Canadian term.